Sunday, January 10, 2010

Books to read in 2010

Number seven in my list of goals for this year was to read one book a month. While sitting in Nate's office today reading, I started looking over his bookshelf and before I new it, I had a stack of books next to me to read for this year.

This stack only contains non-fiction. I may insert a fiction or two in there, but those will be unplanned.

In no particular order:

1. Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson (almost finished--from library)

2. Concise Theology by J.I. Packer (hoping to read this during devotions and look up reference passages as I read.

3. Calendar: Christ's Time for the Church by Laurence Hull Stookey

4. The Mark Experiment by Andrew Page (Nate has talked about wanting to memorize the gospel of Mark again like we did at SLT)

5. Against Christianity by Peter J. Leithart (a re-read for me)

6. Knowing God by J.I. Packer (a re-read for the second time--one I like to re-read periodically)

7. My Life for Yours: A Walk Through the Christian Home by Douglas Wilson (another re-read)

8. Keep in Step with the Spirit by J.I. Packer (can we see a pattern of authors here?)

9. The Baptized Body by Peter J. Leithart

10. When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's [Education] Philosophy for Today edited by Elaine Cooper (a re-read I thought would be good to read at the same time we are working on choosing curricula)

I think it will be some sort of miracle if I get through all of them. I'd like to at least get through 3/4 of them, though.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Whew, a good list, but dont you want to add in some good ol fiction to lighten it a bit:)

Tricia said...

I do. My fiction reading is a bit more spontaneous. I love reading fiction and can get through it much faster than non-fiction.

I'm actually listening to "Thank you, Jeeves" by P.G. Wodehouse right now and enjoying it. I might read the end of the Anne of Green Gables series too. I thought about C.S. Lewis's space trilogy, but not sure. I'm open to suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered, "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller. A really good book but slow-going for me just because of its depth.

Jim Ewing