Monday, June 30, 2008

Chili recipe

This is what I threw together the other night for dinner. It was so yummy. It's based on my mom's recipe for chili, but I changed a lot, so it's really not the same recipe.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (recommend 100% grass fed/finished, if you can find it)
1 clove minced garlic (I use about a half teaspoon of the minced garlic in the glass jar that I keep in the fridge)
1 large can diced tomatoes (can blend/food process these, if you don't like the chunks)
1 cup kidney beans (using dried beans and Serina's recipe)
1 cup pinto beans (same as above)
frozen corn (about 2/3 of a bag or however much you like)

Spices (adjust all to your taste):
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder (I sometimes add a bit more)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin (or a little more)
1/4 tsp. pepper

Brown ground beef with garlic. I don't drain mine because the grass finished beef has only a little grease and I like the little bit of extra flavor.

Add tomatoes, kidney and pinto beans and spices. Simmer on medium low or low (I like to bring it to near a boil and then bring it down to medium low and put on the top just tilted a little bit to simmer) for at least an hour.

Just a little while before eating, add the frozen corn and let it heat through before serving. Serve alone or garnish with plain yogurt (Stonyfield Organic plain lowfat yogurt is yummy on it), sour cream, shredded cheese, fresh tomato slices, avocado slices, or whatever else you like on top of it. I went for the yogurt, tomato and avocado and it was so delicious.

For Kate (hope baby girl comes soon).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! We just had chili this week, too.

This is very similar to how I make chili. I rarely follow a recipe; a little of this, a little of that.

I add more garlic and beans than you, and more corn (because I love corn). I also throw in a little sweetener (sucanat, brown sugar, or molasses).

Oh, and I add probably quintuple the amount of cumin, because I absolutely adore cumin.