On drinking more water
One of my new year's resolutions was to drink more water. I've really seen a difference in how much less dry my face is, how some bathroom issues have gone away (just keepin' it real :) ), and how it helps me not mindlessly snack. Plus, I'm sure it's just good for my overall health and I need lots of liquids when I'm nursing.
I found that just having a large water bottle filled up was not working for me. I'd forget to bring it up or down stairs and there was no reward in feeling like I was making any progress in finishing that large amount.
What I found has worked best of all, consistently over the past few weeks is to have a clear glass (mine is about 12-14 ounces or so) with a straw in it sitting on the kitchen island with the Brita water pitcher sitting next to it all day long. I fill it up in the morning and each time I finish a glass (which I try to do all in one sitting), I fill it right back up. That gives me a visual reminder that I need to drink another glass at some point. For me, with nursing, I tried to drink a glass around each time that I nursed Maggie.
What works with me also works pretty well with the girls. I filled up two more identical (to mine) glasses about halfway with water and put in a straw each. When theirs are empty, I fill them up halfway again. They drink a small, diluted cup of oj at breakfast and a glass of milk at lunch and dinner, but with the water right there, they have also started drinking it at any meal we eat at the island (most breakfasts and lunches).
I know what works for us won't necessarily work for others, but just thought I'd share it. If anyone is still reading this blog, let me know how you make sure you are drinking enough water everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I try to carry a 12-oz glass of water around with me at all times. When I empty it, I fill it right back up again. To keep track, I use the Water Yourself iPhone app to add glasses as I drink them.
I've got a big 32 oz mug that I'll fill up usually twice a day at work and once on my way home. I like to keep a lot of ice in it, so I am not drinking a full 96 oz per day (and I usually don't finish a whole mug in the evening at home), but it has helped me drink more overall, I think. Weekends at home are still hard, though.
I don't! I like my water either ice cold or in hot tea. In the winter, I've been drinking a LOT of white and green tea (in a huge glass and reuse the bag once), but that's still more caffeine than I'd like to have since I'm nursing... In the summer, I keep several stainless bottles in the fridge door so I can grab them when I go out the door. But I do need to drink more and I think my lack of hydration may be causing me to get sick more often... hmmm.... thanks for the reminder!
Post a Comment