Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tomato sadness and growing basil

Our basil did fairly well in our Earthbox this summer, though we had some yellowing and something is eating some of it. I've gotten quite a big of pesto, dried some basil in our dehydrator, used some in tomato basil soup, and put some on our pizza, so I'm pretty happy that I've gotten my money's worth. I'm feeling pretty good about how much I've used considering this is the summer of neglect when it comes to gardening (due to being pregnant). You don't even want to see my regular garden, but Nate took a picture of it the other day, so here it is:



Pretty sad, I know. No edible plants left in there, just crab grass and vines and such. It will be quite a job to unearth it and next summer I'll definitely be mulching with something. Not sure what the best thing to mulch with is.

The tomatoes are not doing so well this year. I'm not sure if it is blossom end rot or blight, but we are not getting much. It's sad. I'm going to give it a try again next year and see if we can do better. I need someone to tell me whether it's blight or not, though, so I know if I should start over with new dirt next year. I hate to do that, since I already haven't gotten anywhere near my money's worth for what I paid for the box. Oh, and many of our tomatoes have been splitting too. Sigh.

2 comments:

laura said...

Horrible summer for gardening for me, too - preggo and record-high temps! Sometimes we just have to let it go :).

Jen said...

Yeah, ours looks horrible too!! I think it was a hard year with so much rain early on (almost too much) and then almost none. The plants didnt get rooted well....
Next year!